Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Cheesy Jalapeno Ranch Chicken and Rice


I kind of threw this recipe together as I was at the grocery store trying to figure out what to make for supper. As my daughter said, “It’s del-wish-us”! I did do the chicken and rice in two separate crockpots because I decided to do rice after I had already had the chicken in the crockpot for a while.  I am sure there is a way to do it all together.  One of these days I will try it and figure out the chicken broth/cream of chicken to rice ratio.  Unfortunately, my picture doesn't do the dish justice.
Cheesy Jalapeno Ranch Chicken (Serves 4)
4 chicken breasts
1 can Campbell’s cheesy soup
1 can Campbell’s cream of chicken
1/2 can chicken broth (use the rest for the rice)
1 package dry ranch (save 2 tsp for rice)
4 oz cream cheese (at room temp)
1 Tbsp pickled jalapeno (finely diced)
½ cup shredded cheese (I used the pizza blend)
The Directions
Put the 1st 5 ingredients into a crockpot and stir.  (I actually heated the soups, broth, and ranch on the stove in a pot, brought it to a boil, then poured it over the chicken breasts in the crockpot, but you don’t have to do that).  Cook on high for 3 – 4 hours or low for 4 – 5 hours. 20 min before serving, “temper” in cream cheese and stir in jalapenos (more or less depending on your heat tolerance).  Sprinkle cheese on top.
Serve over Ranch Rice.
Ranch Rice
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice (no substitutes)
3 Tbsps olive oil or grapeseed oil
1/2 cup white wine (cooking wine will do)
3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (reserve ½ cup of broth to mix in later)
2 tsp dry ranch
1/4 tsp white (or black) pepper

The Directions
In a second crockpot toss the uncooked Arborio rice with the olive oil in your crockpot, add the seasonings, broth and white wine.  Stir to mix flavors.

Cover and cook on high for 1 ½ hours, or until the rice is tender.   Check after 1 hour, stir, and add more broth if needed.

The final product will be very creamy and have a porridge-like consistency.

The Verdict
This was yummy, creamy, and a little spicy.  This was a winner in my household because both my fiancé and my daughter loved it.  However, I did take a little chicken & sauce out before adding the jalapeno’s for my daughter.  The rice can be cooked on the stove it you don’t have a second crockpot.
This crockpot recipe is so versatile and flexible.  If you want an Italian spin, instead of ranch add dry Italian dressing.  Do the same to the rice and add a little lemon juice.  Also, add some artichokes and/or sun dried tomatoes to the chicken.  If you want a Mexican spin, use Campbell’s Fiesta Cheesy Soup, a little taco seasoning, and a can of salsa or Rotel instead of the broth.  For the rice, instead of the ranch and wine, add salsa or lime juice and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment